Quality & Patient Safety
Comparing Hospital Ratings
WATCH VIDEO: David Fisk, M.D., Medical
Director of Infection Prevention and Control
for Cottage Health, explains our quality
Hospital surveys now appear in a variety of sources – from magazines to private companies that market their scores to hospitals. Each uses unique methodologies, so the same hospital may show different ratings in different surveys.
Cottage Health focuses its quality measures and goals on government driven reports that offer transparency and consistency in reporting. We are committed to sharing our quality data.
Cottage Health infection rates are consistently and significantly lower than state and national rate benchmarks at all of our hospitals, including Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital (SBCH) where the most critically ill patients are treated.
We measure patient experience through surveys that are independently administered. All of the indicators or safe practices included in the survey are validated and defined so that all hospitals can use the same methods for calculating the statistics. This process promotes transparency in reporting and allows the public to make comparisons based on credible data.
- Hospital Compare gives both Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital (SBCH) and Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital (GVCH) a four-star rating.
- The California HealthCare Foundation rates both SBCH and GVCH as Superior. Patient experience ratings:
- 82 percent at SBCH
- 78 percent at GVCH
- 68 percent is the California state average rating
- Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital is part of the California Critical Access Hospital Network, and, though it does not receive a ranking from Hospital Compare due to small inpatient volume, 97 percent of its patients say they would definitely recommend the hospital.
Our patients consistently rank all Cottage hospitals significantly higher than both state and national benchmarks for patient satisfaction.
Hospital Compare was established in 2002 by Medicare and the Hospital Quality Alliance, a public-private collaborative aiming to improve hospital quality. It compiles data using:
- Core measures
- Patient satisfaction scores (from HCAHPS—Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems)
- Mortality and readmission rates, and
- Complication rates.
CalQualityCare.org is managed by the California HealthCare Foundation (CHCF), a nonprofit organization. CHCF and this website are not affiliated with the medical industry nor any individual facility or agency. This site compiles data to rate quality of care, patient experience, and safety measures for hospitals in California.