Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
To find out more about pediatric services at Cottage Health, call 877-247-3260. To contact Cottage Children's Medical Center, please call 805-682-7111 or ask your primary care provider for a referral.
From infancy to age 18, your child can get potentially lifesaving care from the PICU at Cottage Children's Medical Center for conditions such as:
- Diabetic emergencies
- Neurological conditions
- Serious breathing problems
- Severe infection
- Severe medical conditions
- Traumatic injuries
Recognized as a regional referral center, we’re the only PICU on the Central Coast. If your critically ill child arrives at another area hospital’s emergency department or needs special care, rely on our transport system to quickly and safely bring him or her to Cottage Health.
Comprehensive, Compassionate PICU Team
Our PICU maintains a high nurse-to-patient ratio, so your child gets round-the-clock observation and a quick response to any change in breathing, heart rate and other vital functions. Your child’s nurses are highly experienced in pediatric medicine—they care only for children.
Each day, a multidisciplinary group of pediatric professionals gathers for meetings called rounds to assess your child’s health and update the treatment plan. Your child will receive comprehensive care from PICU team members such as:
- Child life specialist – Helps your child prepare for and cope with medical procedures and side effects
- Pediatric case management
- Pediatric critical care physicians, or intensivists - Refers you to pediatric oncologists and communicates directly with them throughout your child’s treatment
- Pediatric registered dietitian – Plans healthy meals and counsels your family on nutrition
- Pediatric occupational therapists
- Pediatric physical therapists
- Pediatric respiratory therapists
- Pediatric social workers - Offers counseling and referrals to community resources
You’re welcome to participate in daily rounds, ask questions and get to know the professionals caring for your child. If you can’t attend, we’ll talk to you by phone or in person afterward to explain the day’s goals for your loved one.
Staying Overnight With Your Child
Depending on your child’s condition, you might be able to stay overnight in his or her PICU room to provide comfort and reassurance. Ask a PICU nurse what’s best for your child’s well-being and your own health.