Children's Cancer Care & Hematology
To find out more about pediatric services at Cottage Health, call 877-247-3260. To contact Cottage Children's Medical Center, please call 805-682-7111 or ask your primary care provider for a referral.
When you choose Cottage Children's Medical Center for care of cancer or blood disorders, your family stays close to home while taking advantage of advanced treatments you’d otherwise find at an academic medical center. You’ll get personalized, attentive care for your whole family at our Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic, which offers the only program of its kind on California’s Central Coast.
Conditions We Treat
Count on Cottage Children's Medical Center to treat a wide range of pediatric cancers and blood disorders, including:
Advanced Oncology & Hematology Services
At Cottage Children's Medical Center, your child may receive treatments such as:
- Intravenous (IV) therapy that takes place at the hospital
- Oral therapy (via a pill), which your child can take at home
- Targeted chemotherapy, which affects mainly cancer cells, minimizes damage to healthy cells and reduces side effects
- Radiation therapy
Coordinated, Multidisciplinary Care Team
Your child will get care from a variety of specially trained pediatric professionals who understand the unique ways cancer, blood disorders and medical treatments affect young bodies. Your family’s care team may include:
- Certified oncology nurses – Give the most up-to-date methods of care for cancer patients
- Child life specialist – Helps your child prepare for and cope with medical procedures and side effects
- Pediatric oncologist – Specializes in cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Pediatric pharmacist – Provides the right dose of medications or chemotherapy for children; you’ll find pediatric pharmacists at few other health care facilities
- Pediatric surgeon – Removes tumors
- Pediatric registered dietitian – Plans healthy meals and counsels your family on nutrition
- Pediatric social worker – Offers counseling and referrals to community resources
- Primary care physician – Refers you to pediatric oncologists and communicates directly with them throughout your child’s treatment
Cancer Research & Clinical Trials
Eighty percent of children treated for cancer live at least five more years, and most are eventually cured. Cottage Health participates in groundbreaking medical research that’s leading to even better survival rates.
Your child may qualify for a clinical trial of a promising new treatment we offer through the Children’s Oncology Group, the world’s largest organization researching only pediatric cancer therapies. On the Central Coast, you’ll find this opportunity only at Cottage Health.
When your child needs cancer care, ask Cottage Health for help applying for financial assistance available through local and national cancer foundations, including the Teddy Bear Cancer Foundation and [add names of other foundations, and place them in a bulleted list if there are more than two].
Long-Term Follow-Up Improves Health
After your child finishes cancer treatment, rely on Cottage Health for long-term physical and behavioral health services tailored to cancer survivors. He or she will get care from doctors specially trained in helping prevent, recognize and treat conditions that may result from cancer therapies.
Designated Special Care Center (SCC)
The Cancer Care and Hematology Clinic at Cottage Health holds the designation of Special Care Center (SCC) from the state of California. That means children with acute and chronic conditions can receive comprehensive care—covered by California’s Children’s Services—close to home. Not only can you continue working with your local doctor, but you also benefit from easy access to top-quality treatment, urgent care and follow-up services for complex conditions, all without the need to travel long distances to out-of-area facilities.