Nursing at Cottage
For more information about these programs or to inquire about nursing education scholarships and loan programs, contact Cottage Health Human Resources at (805) 569-8934.
Health Care Student Loan Program
Through our Health Care Student Loan Program, you can obtain your next degree at little or no cost to yourself. The Health Care Education Loan program provides financial support to employees of Cottage Health (internal candidates) in conjunction with earning a(n):
- Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or other related field, based on organizational need
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS)
The Health Care Education Loan program also provides financial support to non-employees (external candidates) attending school on a full time basis, living in the Tri-County area, in conjunction with earning a(n):
- Associate Degree in Nursing through Santa Barbara City College
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing through California State University, Channel Islands
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist through Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital School of Medical Technology
Based on your educational goals, you may qualify for loans up to the following amounts:
- Associate Degree Program up to $5,000
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist up to $10,000
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing up to $7,500
- California State University, Channel Islands at Cottage Health System BSN Program up to $12,000
- Master of Science in Nursing up to $6,000
100% of this loan plus the interest thereon may be cancelled if, upon graduation, you are employed for service as a full-time or part-time benefited Registered Nurse at any Cottage Health facility. Loan repayment for service begins following completion of the new certificate/degree. Service requirement for loan repayment is one hour for each dollar borrowed. For example, if $4,000 is borrowed the loan will be fully repaid after 4,000 hours worked as a regular full-time or part-time benefits eligible employee.
Application deadlines are December 1 for the Winter/Spring term and July 1 for the fall term. For more information or to request a loan application, contact Cottage Health Human Resources, Recruitment Department at (805) 879-8799.
Nursing lies at the heart of care at Cottage, and the professionalism and compassion of our nurses are appreciated every day. During the annual celebration of Nurses Week, we look back at some of the notable accomplishments of our nursing staff in the Nursing Excellence publication.
Nursing Education Community Partnerships
Cottage Health strongly supports nursing education in our community through partnerships with Santa Barbara City College(SBCC) and California State University Channel Islands (CSUCI) in Camarillo.
Cottage supports the SBCC Associate Degree in Nursing program financially as well as with clinical education opportunities for nurses-in-training.
In 2012, Cottage teamed up with CSUCI to launch the region's first Bachelor's Degree in Nursing program. The partnership helps address important needs for both Cottage and CSUCI. It creates a qualified, locally educated workforce that Cottage hopes will relieve future nursing shortages. Offered through CSUCI Extended University, the program is housed in a facility adjacent to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital. The suite includes three high-tech classrooms, faculty offices, and state-of-the-art simulation labs.
Philosophy of Nursing
The Philosophy of Nursing within Cottage Health is embodied by our Professional Practice Model (PPM). Our foundation is based on our core values of excellence, integrity and compassion. We stand for teamwork and collaboration. Caring and compassion for the patient and family is at the heart of what we do. We are guided by research and evidence-based practice to promote quality and safety. Our knowledge and collective vision drive our professional practice and benefit the community through wellness and prevention.
- Uphold and abide by the nursing code of ethics
- Are mindful stewards of resources
- Support and honor a commitment to lifelong learning including advanced degrees and certifications
Our practice reflects our acknowledgement that Nursing is a blend of art and science.