No one is allowed to smoke on the grounds of any Cottage Health facility or within 20 feet of any entrance to Cottage Health buildings, parking lots or other structures.
This applies to:
- Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
- Cottage Rehabilitation Hospital
- Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital
- Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital
- Pacific Diagnostics Laboratories
- Hollister Business Services Building
- Cottage Residential Center *
- All medical office buildings
- All parking lots or garages
- All other facilities or structures owned, operated or leased by Cottage Health
* With the exception of patients. No one else is permitted to smoke on the campus.
Smoking is prohibited in all hospital areas and off-site buildings, including patient rooms, lobbies, waiting rooms, cafeterias, elevators, conference rooms, restrooms, stairwells and all entrances.
A Santa Barbara County ordinance prohibits patients, visitors and staff from smoking within 20 feet of any public building. Smoking shall not be permitted by anyone at any point of entry or within 20 feet of a window at any Cottage Health facility, even if on a sidewalk. Cottage Health reserves the right to ask smokers to move away from any point of entry.
Health care workers are not required to escort patients or stay with them if they choose to leave the building to smoke. This includes patients on psychiatric holds in the emergency department. Health care workers may not prohibit a patient from exiting the building to smoke off property, with the exception of patients on psychiatric hold. However, patients should be warned of the potential consequences of leaving the building to smoke, such as IV management, lack of telemetry monitoring, delayed medication administration, etc. These will be documented in the patient’s record.
If you smoke, ask your physician about appropriate treatments to help you quit.
Smoking Cessation Services