Cardiac Rehabilitation, Wellness & Support
How Do I Get Started?
A doctor’s referral is required to enter the Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital Cardiac Rehab program. To make an appointment or for more information, please call Michelle Smith, PT, Cardiac Rehab Coordinator at (805) 569-7201.
Learn to live well with heart disease or after a heart event by participating in cardiac rehabilitation through Cottage Health.
Close Monitoring from Medical Specialists
When you choose Cottage Health, you gain access to a medically prescribed and medically supervised cardiac rehabilitation program. That means you benefit from careful monitoring, close attention and personal support from our specially trained physicians, therapists and nurses who help you:
- Regain your strength through physical conditioning and supervised exercise
- Find out more about how your heart and vascular system works to keep you going. Learn how to make healthy lifestyle choices and changes
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital is an AACVPR certified facility. This certification recognizes SBCH as a leader in the field of cardiovascular rehabilitation with the most advanced practices available.
Comprehensive, Three-Phase Program
Your cardiac rehabilitation starts right away and extends through the time you return home.
- Phase I: Inpatient – Begins in the hospital with gentle, progressive exercises and education
- Phase II: Outpatient– Builds on the conditioning achieved in Phase I; starts one or two weeks after you leave the hospital; lasts eight to 12 weeks or a maximum of 36 visits; includes:
- Initial private meeting with Cottage Health rehabilitation staff
- Hour-long group classes that meet Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings
- Exercise sessions three times each week; supervised by trained cardiac rehabilitation professionals who continuously monitor your progress
- Heart Smart Lecture Series; weekly classes focused on heart disease prevention; topics include nutrition, fitness, lifestyle changes, risk factor modification, stress reduction; family members encouraged to attend
- Phase III: Maintenance – Follows completion of Phase I and Phase II; continues supervised exercise classes through Cottage Health cardiac rehabilitation program; meets each Tuesday and Thursday morning
Meet Our Heart & Vascular Doctors
The Heart and Vascular Center at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital is a nationally recognized regional destination for cardiovascular expertise and medical management of complex heart and vascular conditions.
The Meet the Doctors seminars give you an opportunity to learn about conditions of the heart and the latest treatment options. The healthy conversations include a 45-minute presentation by a physician, followed by ample time for questions.
The session is free. Please register in advance by calling us at 1-844-51-HEART.