Breastfeeding with Respiratory Symptoms or a Positive COVID-19 Diagnosis
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash hands for 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Put on your mask or clean face covering.
- Wash hands for 20 seconds with soap and water, or sanitize with gel.
- Wash your breasts with soap and water.
- If breastfeeding, use clean covering (i.e. towel/blanket/sheet/cloth), to cover exposed skin leaving only the breast in contact with baby.
- Breastfeed your baby.
- Hand baby to support person for other cares (i.e burping, swaddling, comforting, diapering, etc). Support person should wash hands prior to any contact with the baby as well.
General Infant Care
It is recommended that a healthy caregiver should care for the infant. Breastfeeding is the care mom, and only mom, can provide. Your pediatrician will provide guidance when you can assume full care of your baby.