Data Use Committee
Projects and Data Requests
Projects and requests for data begin at the Data Use Committee. Investigators should complete a Data Request Form and submit it via email to CHRI@sbch.org to be reviewed by the DUC.
Data Use Committee Purpose
- To data prescreen requests and potential research projects in order to classify the purpose/scope of the project and identify regulatory considerations, such as HIPAA requirements;
- To route a Data Request Form through upper management so that a request’s institutional suitability can be assessed, as well as the type of support required.
Internal Requests (Cottage Employees and Staff):
- Meet with your director to determine the quality and feasibility of the study.
- For protocol development assistance, contact Catelynn Kenner - (805) 324-9254 ext. 59254, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additional meetings may be necessary, depending upon the scope of the study, to determine what steps are necessary to begin the research (e.g. which departments will be involved, staff requirements, access to data needed, statistical support, etc.).
- Submit the completed Data Request Form for review by the Data Use Committee (DUC). You may email the completed PAT to CHRI@sbch.org.
- Attend DUC meeting to answer committee questions.
- After DUC meeting, Data Request will be routed for approval by Administration, as needed.
- Depending upon the scope of the project, you will either receive written notification that the DUC review is complete; be asked to provided additional documents; or receive IRB application materials.
External Requests (Non-Cottage Employees):
- Non-Cottage Employees, complete items #4 – 7 above.
Data Use Committee Instructions
By routing a Data Request Form (DRF) through upper management, institutional suitability can be assessed, as well as the type of support required. The DUC works in conjunction with, and on behalf of, the IRB on regulatory matters involving HIPAA and research exemptions.
How and When to Complete a Data Request Form
Data Request Form
The information presented in the self-assessment tool will be reviewed and evaluated by the Data Use Committee (DUC) to determine the scope of the project (e.g. research, QI, EBP) and to ensure that all HIPAA and Privacy regulations are in place prior any collection of data.
Download the Data Request Form