Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Clinic
Make an Appointment
Please call our scheduling line to make your appointment.
One of the most common inherited genetic disorders affecting Caucasians in the United States, cystic fibrosis (CF) causes the body to produce thick, sticky mucus that clogs the lungs and builds up in the digestive tract.
Cystic fibrosis also causes about one-third of cases of bronchiectasis, the destruction and widening of airways. In addition, bronchiectasis may be caused by:
- Autoimmune disorders
- Lung infections
- Other genetic conditions
At Cottage Health’s bimonthly Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Clinic, you’ll find comprehensive care for both conditions—which respond to similar treatments—from a multidisciplinary team with the experience and skill to help you breathe easier and feel better.
Clinic is scheduled twice per month (usually the 3rd Tuesday and 4th Thursday of the month) from 1pm – 5pm. Please call 805-569-8993 for current clinic dates.
All of our inpatient admissions are to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, a 483-bed acute care teaching Hospital, the largest at the time between Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area.
Our facilities include a 24-hour emergency room, gastroenterologists, otorhinolaryngologists, endocrinologists, gynecologists, psychiatrists and interventional radiologists affiliated with the Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital with expertise in caring for cystic fibrosis and bronchiectasis patients.
We also have a microbiology lab that performs sputum cultures and sweat chloride testing in accordance with CF Foundation guidelines.
Because Cottage is a smaller program, patients are able to receive a more personalized care. Since our accreditation in May 2014, the Cystic Fibrosis clinic now has 35 patients. All of our patients have direct access to our team members on a regular basis.
Our patients are seen on a quarterly basis at the CF clinic, with annual studies performed at the time of the patient's birth date. Patients are evaluated by our entire multidisciplinary team at each visit. Patients can also be seen in the office between CF clinic visits as needed. It is important to us that we make the transition from the pediatric center to our center as seamless as possible.
Expert Treatment, Personal Attention
You’ll get high-quality, specialized treatment for your condition because we are accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. You’ll enjoy personalized support and attention from staff who take the time to get to know you.
Your Multidisciplinary Team
At the Cottage Health Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Clinic, you can learn how to better manage your condition with help from dedicated physicians and other health care providers, including:
- Pulmonologist – Diagnoses and treats lung conditions and diseases
- Respiratory therapists – Help you breathe more easily
- Physical therapists – Teach chest physical therapy (CPT) techniques to help loosen mucus
- Registered Nurse – Provides comprehensive assessments and patient education for overall health and well-being
- Dietitian – Creates a healthful eating plan that meets your personal nutrition goals and benefits your lungs
- Social workers – Connect you with community resources and support services
- Pharmacist – Helps you manage your medications
To provide the best care for you, our Clinic team collaborates with additional Cottage Health affiliated specialists as needed, including:
- Allergist/immunologist – Diagnoses and treats allergies and immune system disorders
- Endocrinologists – Diagnose and treat conditions related to glands and hormones
- Gastroenterologists – Specialize in treating the gastrointestinal tract and liver
- Gynecologists – Specialize in treating the female reproductive system
- Interventional radiologists – Perform minimally invasive, image-guided procedures
- Otorhinolaryngologists – Diagnose and treat ear, nose and throat (ENT) conditions
Services We Offer
At the Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Clinic, you can expect consultation, evaluation and management for your specific condition. Special services we offer include:
- Sputum culture – Detects infection in your airways by examining mucus samples in a laboratory
- Sweat chloride test – Measures the amount of chloride in your sweat to diagnose or rule out CF