About Our Program
Because Cottage is a smaller program, patients are able to receive a more personalized care. Since our initial affiliate accreditation in May 2014, the Cystic Fibrosis clinic has grown to more than 50 patients, and has recently transitioned to an independent CF center recently accredited by the CF Foundation in December 2018. All of our patients have direct access to all of our team members on a regular basis.
Services We Offer
At the Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchiectasis Center, you can expect consultation, evaluation and management to promote wellness and health. Special services we offer include:
- Comprehensive yearly evaluations and quarterly visits to the CF clinic
- Complete pulmonary function testing, arterial blood gas analysis and cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- 3 step test and 6 minute walk test performed by our physical therapist
- Sputum cultures – Detects infection in your airways by examining mucus samples in a laboratory
- Sweat chloride test – Measures the amount of chloride in your sweat to diagnose or rule out CF
- Airway clearance device demonstrations and review in clinic with our respiratory therapist
Our patients are seen on a quarterly basis at the CF center, with annual studies performed at the time of the patient's birth date. Patients are evaluated by our entire multidisciplinary team at least once a year and at quarterly visits as needed.
Patients can also be seen in the office between CF clinic visits as needed. We work closely with surrounding pediatric CF centers to help make the transition from the pediatric center to our adult center as seamless as possible.
All of our inpatient admissions are to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, a 519-bed acute care teaching Hospital, the largest at the time between Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area.
Our facilities include a 24-hour emergency room, gastroenterologists, otorhinolaryngologists, endocrinologists, gynecologists, psychiatrists and interventional radiologists affiliated with the Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital with expertise in caring for cystic fibrosis and bronchiectasis patients. We also have a microbiology lab that performs sputum cultures and sweat chloride testing in accordance with CF Foundation guidelines.
Our program is accredited as an adult care center by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and strictly adherences to the CFF guidelines on Infection Control.