Cottage Outpatient Surgery Center
The Cottage Outpatient Surgery Center provides individuals, whose surgical needs usually do not require an overnight visit, eliminating an extended period of separation from home and family.
Our center is located on the corner of Junipero and Castillo Streets, with the full services of Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital immediately available, should the need arise.
Our primary goal is to provide you with a safe, pleasant and comfortable experience. We hope that our facility, and expert team of specially trained physicians and support staff, will exceed your highest expectations.
Please plan to have a responsible adult drive you home after your surgery and stay home with you overnight.
Cottage Outpatient Surgery Center provides service for the following specialties:
About Your Procedure
Before Your Surgery
- You will be notified of the date and time of your procedure and will be given a pre-operative questionnaire to complete, which will help us provide you with the most thorough and appropriate care. Please return it immediately in the envelope provided or by FAX to 805-569-7348.
- A registered nurse will review this information with you on the phone one to three days before your surgery.
- Any questions about your insurance coverage may be directed to the outpatient surgery financial counselor at 805-324-9288.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight before surgery unless your physician/anesthesiologist/nurse states otherwise; your physician will instruct you regarding your medication routine prior to your procedure.
- If there is a possibility that you may be pregnant, or there is a change in your health (cold, cough, wound infection, fever, etc.) before your scheduled procedure, notify your physician immediately.
Day of Surgery
- Please leave your valuables at home. You may wear dentures, hearing aids, glasses or contacts, but be advised that they may need to be removed prior to your procedure.
- Bring current insurance and Medicare cards, and a photo ID.
- All children under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who is authorized to sign the standard legal surgical consents.
- All legal guardians or conservators of minor or adult patients must bring a copy of the documentation.
- Your anesthesiologist will meet and examine you before surgery. At that time, you will have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss the type of anesthesia best for you.
- Your family may stay with you in the preoperative area until you are taken to surgery.
After Your Surgery
- Most patients spend one to two hours in our fully-equipped post-anesthesia care unit.
- When the anesthesiologist feels it is safe, you will be sent home to complete your recovery.
- Follow your post-procedure care instructions regarding activities, diet, rest and medications.
- For your protection, avoid making important decisions, signing important documents or drinking alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours following your procedure.
- Parents are able to stay with their child in the preoperative area and in the post-anesthesia care unit after surgery, once their child is awake.
- One parent MUST stay in the building from admission until the child is discharged.
- Children having surgery are encouraged to bring a favorite blanket, small toy or stuffed animal for added reassurance and comfort.