Birth and New Baby Classes, Tours
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital offers several classes led by specially trained nurses and other experts to help you and your family get ready for your new baby.
You must register ahead of time unless the class description says otherwise. To sign up online, click on a class or go to our event calendar. If you have questions, email email@example.com, or call 805-569-8229. Once you register you will receive a confirmation letter by email with important details about your class.
Prepared Childbirth Classes
Sign up early for this series of five weekly classes, which is suggested for your third trimester and is ideal for first-time parents. Plan to finish classes 2 – 4 weeks before your due date.
- Breathing, relaxation and coping techniques for labor
- Coaching role for labor companions.
- Medical options including Cesarean
- Care for mom and baby after birth
The 5 week series includes a Childbirth Center Tour. At no extra cost, you can go to the Breastfeeding and New Parent classes, which are offered at other times. Cost: $115 for two people.
Childbirth Center Tours
See our beautiful Childbirth Center with its family-centered birthing rooms and facilities. Tours last 45 minutes and are offered Tuesdays at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. Cost: free, but please register.
- A visit to our birthing rooms
- Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital’s family-centered approach to birth
- Information about pre-admission, visitor guidelines, and parking
Learn the many rewards of breastfeeding for you and your baby, while getting tips for long-term success. We encourage partners to attend, too, because they play an important support role.
- Advantages of breastfeeding for mother and baby
- Physiology of lactation
- Nutritional needs of mother and baby
- Support role of your husband, family, and doctor
- Getting the best start and tips for managing the transition
If you have already had a baby, this class is a great review that lets you practice relaxation techniques and rehearse breathing patterns. Cost: $15 for two people.
More than one in four babies in the U.S. is born through Cesarean delivery, often known as C-section. It helps to be prepared, whether surgery is planned or needed for unexpected issues. Cost: free, but please register.
- Reasons for Cesarean childbirth
- Family-centered operations and care during birth
- Choices for anesthesia, pain relief, and coping techniques
- Physical and emotional steps to recovery from a Cesarean delivery
Maternidad - Maternity Classes in Spanish
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital offers childbirth classes in Spanish. The first Monday of the month starts a new series of four classes, but you can begin when you want. Classes are suggested for the seventh month of pregnancy. Bring your partner or someone else who can support you during childbirth.
Classes are from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Room 3861, close to the Childbirth Center in the hospital. There are no classes the fifth Monday of the month, or in December. Cost: Free. Registration not required. To learn more, call 805-569-8389.
- First Monday of month – Tour of the hospital
- Second Monday – Childbirth
- Third Monday – Medical help
- Fourth Monday – Newborns and breastfeeding
CPR for Family and Friends: Infant/Child
Learn lifesaving skills that may be needed if a child chokes, stops breathing or does not have a heartbeat. This course is for parents, babysitters and friends who don’t need an official certificate. It is based on American Heart Association guidelines. Cost is $25 per person.
Car Seat Safety
Did you know that four out of five car seats are put installed incorrectly? Let a certified car seat technician show you the proper way to install and use a car seat. Cost is free, but please register.
Registration and Financial Assistance
Cost of childbirth classes can be reduced or waived based on financial need. To request financial assistance, or if you have any special circumstance, call 805-569-8229 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.